Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Happiness Grows in the Mountains

Well hello. It's been a while.
Right now Abe's napping and I'm supposed to be doing some stuff for young women's (so many emails!) but even though I've read Gretchen Rubin's book on habits and even though Terry bought me a planner sometimes I just don't want to be doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Sometimes I want to be doing what I want to be doing. Which is looking at our lovely photos from camping this weekend and admiring how cute Abe is and trying to use my minimal photoshop skills to fix the pictures I way underexposed. Gretchen Rubin, does that make me a Rebel? Because, by the way, I seriously can't figure out which of the four tendencies I fit into. I'm all and none of them. And I've asked multiple people's opinions with different answers. But I digress.

So even though it was only a 24 hour camping trip, it was wonderful. Just what we needed. It rained and it was dirty and beautiful and by the end we all smelled like campfire and were so wonderfully happy and in awe of mother earth. Driving up, Terry and I kept commenting how it looked like the part of Oregon he is from. All the big pine trees. It's amazing that such an Oregon-like place is a mere 2 hours 15 minutes north of Phoenix, Arizona. 

We went with some great friends who have two little boys Abe loves. So between being outside and having older kids to play with, he was in heaven. Most of the really beautiful shots were taken by my friend Miriam.
Earlier this morning Abe and I had gone shopping for rain coats because neither of us owned anything waterproof. While we were trying raincoats on, Abe totally face planted and was crying a lot harder than normal. 20 minutes later as we leave the store I realize it's because he had skinned his nose. Ouch. So of course, as soon as we get to our campsite, one of the first things he does is faceplate into the dirt. Which was sad and adorable and believe it or not it was not that fun to clean the dirt off his skinned nose.
You can see his skinned nose and scratched forehead real good in this one. This is one of my all-time favorite pictures (thanks Miriam!).

We went to the nearby fish hatchery the next day. This was one of those way over-exposed photos but I think you still get the idea of the type of heaven this was for Abe. Like, please Dad, let me jump in heaven.


Abe just learned how to do this. The whoop. It kills me.
 Stealing the Andes mints at the end. If you haven't made chocolate graham cracker-marshmallow-andes mint s'mores you probably should.

No comments:

Post a Comment